The German Gymnasium is a striking central London building located just a stone’s throw from Kings Cross and St. Pancras stations. Built in the 1860s for the German Gymnastics Society, the building was influential in the advancement of athletics in Britain, and hosted indoor events at London’s first Olympic Games in 1866. It is architecturally remarkable for its striking laminated timber roof – one of only two surviving examples in the country – and has been a listed building since the 1970s.
Originally famous as the first purpose-built gymnasium in England, the German Gymnasium ceased to be used for athletics in the early nineteenth century and has accommodated a variety of purposes since, including offices, storage and exhibitions. In November 2015 the building was relaunched by leading restaurant group D&D as one of the city’s most promising new eateries, boasting a café, two bars and an outdoor terrace as well as its sophisticated first-floor restaurant.
Following the success of the company’s work on the T5 Aga Khan building at Kings Cross, Glassolutions was appointed to the German Gymnasium renovation by main contractor BAM Construction. The brief was to manufacture and install thermally efficient windows and doors to complement the original features of the building, as part of its conversion into a restaurant.